- COVID-19 cannot be transmitted in hot climates? FALSE! According to WHO, COVID-19 can be transmitted in ALL CLIMATES and weathers including humid and hot climates.
- Cold climates and snow can kill coronavirus? NO EVIDENCE thus far. The human body temperature remains the same (between 36.5 and 37 degrees Celsius) irrespective of external temperatures. So protect yourself with proper infection prevention and control mechanisms.
- Taking a HOT BATH will NOT protect you against getting infected by the new coronavirus. Remember your body temperature remains the same regardless of external conditions. A hot bath may actually burn and harm you.
- Can coronavirus be transmitted through MOSQUITOES? NO EVIDENCE thus far. COVID-19 is a respiratory disease and transmitted primarily through droplets from an infected person when s/he coughs, sneezes and through their saliva or discharges from his/her nose when in close proximity.
- Can HAND DRYERS kill the new coronavirus? NO! You should wash your hands with soap and water or alcohol based hand rub, then dry with paper towel or warm air dryer. Hot dryers can burn or harm you.
- Can ultraviolet (UV) disinfection lamp kill the new coronavirus? NO, UV lamp should NOT be used to sterilize your hands or other areas of your skin. UV lamp can cause SKIN IRRITATIONS.
- Can THERMAL SCANNERS detect those infected with COVID-19? NO, thermal scanners can detect persons who develop fevers but not effective in detecting COVID-19 because infected persons may not develop fevers for 2- 10 days.
- Can spraying alcohol or chlorine over your body protect a person against being infected with the new coronavirus? NO! Spraying alcohol and chlorine may be used only to clean surfaces under appropriate recommendations. Using such the above substances can rather be harmful to your clothes or mucous membranes (eyes, mouth etc.)
- Vaccines against pneumonia protect you against COVID-19? NO! This is a new virus and requires its own vaccine. None developed yet. Researchers in collaboration with WHO are working on finding a new vaccine against COVID-19. That said, WHO highly recommends that people get vaccinated against other respiratory illnesses to protect their health.
- Can RINSING YOUR NOSE with saline prevent you from getting infected with COVID-19? There is NO EVIDENCE that rinsing your nose with saline can protect you against COVID-19 or other respiratory diseases but there is some limited evidence suggesting that help people recover quicker from the common cold.
- Can eating GARLIC prevent coronavirus infection? NO! While garlic is healthy for its antimicrobial properties, there is NO it can protect you against COVID-19.
- Does the new coronavirus affect OLDER people only or YOUNGER people too? COVID-19 can affect people of ALL AGES although OLDER and people with PRE-EXISTING chronic conditions (asthma, heart disease, diabetes, emphysema etc.) are more susceptible to being infected and becoming severely ill by the virus.
- Can ANTIBIOTICS protect a person against the new coronavirus? NO Antibiotics are only effective in fighting bacteria not viruses, the new coronavirus is a virus and cannot be treated with antibiotics unless the COVID-19 patient also has a bacterial infection.
- Are there preventive medicines for COVID-19? NONE thus far to prevent or treat the new coronavirus or COVID-19 per se although there are some treatments under investigations by researchers and scientists with WHO supporting to accelerate these efforts. At the moment, COVID-19 cases are being treated with symptom relief, management and treatment of respiratory conditions as well as appropriate supportive care.
March 19, 2020
For more information and details on COVID-19 refer to WHO website.